Olympic Brewery S.A.
Olympic Brewery S.A. is a purely Greek and fast evolving company that was set up in January 2010. It owns the lager FIX Hellas brand, the first and most historical Greek beer and the premium lager FIX Dark brand, which created a new category in the domestic market of black beer.
The ultra-modern privately owned brew house of Olympic Brewery, where all the products are produced, is located in Ritsona area, in Evia. Since its establishment, Olympic Brewery has demonstrated that, alongside its investment program, it focuses on the development of the beer market in Greece, its great contribution to the national economy, the responsible investment on raw material and the support of the Greek farmers and producers. At the same time, Olympic Brewery is an example of a healthy Greek business overseas as it exports its high quality and tasty Greek beer to 18 modern international markets.
FIX Hellas, the most historical Greek beer brand was re-launched in the Greek market by Olympic Brewery, in April 2010, marking a new glorious page in its history.
Based on the tradition and its timeless principles, FIX Hellas is fully adapted to the modern consumption needs, represents a reliable and high quality Greek product, since FIX brand is synonymous with Greece. Just to think that this is a brand with 150 years of history, through which the Greeks learned to drink beer! For one and a half century, FIX remains a constant value and the journey continues…
FIX Hellas History
- 1850: When Greece was trying to recover, after its liberation from the Turks, Ioannis Fix came back from Munich to find his father. Ioannis moved to Heraklion (Attica) after his father was shot dead in Magoufana (currently the area of Pefki), to start producing beer as many Bavarian officers had moved to Greece during that period. As a result, Ioannis Fix started making the first beer in our country which was named after its family, FIX.
- 1864: Thanks to the beer’s great success, Ioannis Fix decided to move its brewery in Kolonaki, a suburb which was nearby.
FIX beer gained popularity among Greeks, became fashionable and started expanding all over Athens.
- 1870: Fix opened his first beer house on Ardittos slopes. It was named ‘Metz’ after the battle that took place during the French-German war, in the French city of Metz. The same name was also given to the neighborhood where the beer house was.
- 1893: The number of clients kept on increasing and the space was no longer sufficient. Ioannis Fix decided to move his residence and shop to Syggrou Avenue which was still a suburb. His clients followed him because his beer was exceptional. In the meantime, he had got married and got two sons. The eldest undertook an active role in the business.The small handicraft started growing and a few years later became a steam-powered plant, which was equipped with the best quality beer-making machinery for that period.
- 1900: FIX beer got the “Gold Award” at the Milan Fair. Following this, it received successive awards at international exhibitions and competitions.
- 1920: Karolos Fix was informed that in Europe they produced artificial cold. Without wasting time, he used his savings to equip his small plant with cooling equipment. This is how artificial ice was introduced in Greece for the first time.
- 1922: Karolos Fix died and left the plant to his two sons, Yiannis and Antonis who were working with him since they were young. The two brothers worked hard and managed to grow the business even further. They set up a malt house, in order to produce beer using Greek barley and built huge cooling rooms for preserving the surplus of the agricultural production.FIX became the synonym of beer in Greece and was present everywhere, in every house, group of friends, ads and even at the movies.
- 1957: The “predominance” of FIX continued and Takis Zenetos, the “great kid of architecture” was entrusted with the refurbishment and expansion of the plant in Syggrou Avenue.
- 1961: The brand new brewery in Syggrou Avenue was ready. It was a state-of-the-art plant both in terms of equipment and design. The ground floor, for example, was totally covered with glass allowing people passing by from outside to see the beer making process!
- 1982: Time went by…due to the involvement of the Fix family to political conflicts and the intense competition of new beers that were introduced into the market, the plant closed down putting an end to the production of the most historic Greek beer.The Greeks favorite beer disappeared, taking with it thousands of moments, thoughts and memories…
- 1995: The Company D. KOURTAKIS SA took over the trademarks of FIX beer from the National Bank of Greece and started selling it on the market without great success.
- 2009: Three Greek businessmen, Yiannis Chitos and Ilias and George Grekis took over the company OLYMPIAKI ZYTHOPOIIA (Olympic Brewery) as well as the trade mark of the oldest, most famous and favorite Greek beer, FIX Hellas. And that is how its story restarted…
- 2010: After the completion of a large scale investment, which resulted in the construction of a state-of-the-art brewery in Ritsona, Evoia, the historic beer FIX Hellas is once again available to the Greek market and to the consumers. The first bottle was made in March and in early April the big arrival of FIX was a fact! From the very first moment, people’s enthusiasm was great and beyond the most optimistic expectations. As a result, OLYMPIC BREWERY could only satisfy 20% of the total demand. Therefore, it had to find a solution.
- 2011: The second large investment consisting of an expansion of the plant was completed with a view to increase the production capacity allowing OLYMPIC BREWERY to meet the ever increasing demand.
- 2012: FIX Hellas succeeded in meeting all the needs of the domestic market and decided to go beyond the Greek borders, in order to satisfy the “thirst” of the foreign markets which was high since the very first months of its launching.
- 2013: Having emerged as the 1st Greek beer brand in the domestic market, FIX Hellas its steady growth as an established love brand for the consumers and as a product that worthily represents the Greek beer market abroad.
- 2014: The cherished Greek beer reaches its 150-year anniversary in our country! 150 years, Greece and FIX go together … and the story continues equally exciting!